Board Question

jkunstek

Ok, my husband and I started boarding last year and he was just starting to learn his turns last year at the end of the season. We went twice this year and he has complained that his board keeps leaning to one side I am not sure if it is to the right or left off hand and he can't do his turns. I am not having this issue. I was thinking maybe he was putting too much weight on one side and that is what is causing it. I wanted him to take it to the tune shop on Saturday when we were at Bear but he didn't want to. Could it be an issue where he needs to get something adjusted on his borad?

Unless there's something visually wrong with the base of his board (deep scratch or gouge) it's not going to be something wrong with his set up, I'm not really going to speak for the two of you around what trails or conditions you've ridden this year; but maybe get him to start out on a smaller easier trail just to get comfortable with his board again it can always be a little rough coming back after your off season time especially after the short and pitiful season we had last year.

No, he does not skateboard. We were at Big Boulder two weekends ago and then we were at Bear on Saturday and we were doing the beginners trails. His board is fine, we just got them waxed and checked out before the season. I think it might be a binding thing because the adjusting part on the back of his bindings actually fell off on Saturday when we were at Bear, I do belive it's his left binding which would be his front foot. So, you think if he adjusts it so that he doesn't lean forward as much that it should correct itself?

Unless his binding is still broken there is probably nothing so badly wrong with his board or set-up that would cause this problem.

It's most likely in his head.

Have the board / binding checked out by the repair shop at your hill (they probably won't charge you anything if there's nothing obviously wrong), then start with the basics again.

If he cant get a grip, he'll have to change to soemthing easier like skiing, or maybe blades....

if you've both just started boarding, it's more likely something he's unconsciously doing. a lot of newer riders lean back over their rear binding while coming down the slope. it might be worth taking a lesson or something just to get some input from an instructor. when i was learning a few years ago, i had the worst time doing toe turns and couldn't progress for the life of me.... finally just took a private lesson and found out that i had the tendency to hunch over forward all the time. when you know what you're doing wrong it's easy to correct it with lots of practice on an easy slope.

but if bindings are popping off, definitely get that checked in the shop.

I am a beginner too (started boarding last year). I found that I learned much better/quicker on an intermediate slope. Beginner slopes are almost too flat to do one of those toe turns. Try it on the intermediate!

That is true.

There are two binding adjustments I can think of that might cause this, but 99% of the time it is in his head. These only apply if he has large feet. The first one moves the bindings from edge to edge, if they are off center then this might happen. Just put the boots in the board without him in the boots, and look at it from one end. If the boots looked centered then its fine. The other is the highback adjustment. That is the part behind the boot that is vertical. There will be a little wedge near the bottom of it, usually you have to twist a little lever and you can adjust it. Push them all the way back so it is max vertical. That makes it less responsive, you don't want high response until you are confident in your riding.

That is true.

There are two binding adjustments I can think of that might cause this, but 99% of the time it is in his head. These only apply if he has large feet. The first one moves the bindings from edge to edge, if they are off center then this might happen. Just put the boots in the board without him in the boots, and look at it from one end. If the boots looked centered then its fine. The other is the highback adjustment. That is the part behind the boot that is vertical. There will be a little wedge near the bottom of it, usually you have to twist a little lever and you can adjust it. Push them all the way back so it is max vertical. That makes it less responsive, you don't want high response until you are confident in your riding.

The lever is what came off last weekend. He thinks it's all in his head because it's the same board that he used last year and he was able to do it last year and he didn't change anything on the board. He does have big feet, size 13.

The lever is what came off last weekend. He thinks it's all in his head because it's the same board that he used last year and he was able to do it last year and he didn't change anything on the board. He does have big feet, size 13.

If he has big feet then they could be off center. I have 12.5's so I'm in the same boat. You want the bindings as close to the toe side edge as you can get them without having your toes drag in the snow. How close is that? Trial and error. For now, keep them centered. With big feet most of your force is coming down on the heelside edge if you have them centered, so heelside turns are easier. Plus, when you are doing a heelside turn you have the highback to push against. So anything you can do to make the toeside turns easier makes it more balanced.

Also, when he is riding, keep your shoulders in line with the board. If you have your shoulder perpendicular to the board (a skier reflex, often people coming over from skiing do it, I'm guilty of it) then your board will constantly be trying to do heelside turns. So kind of lower your front shoulder and look more towards your toe edge, your body will follow.