TR 12/30 - 12/31

im rick james

Decided to drive up to the good ol poconos after seeing the weather forecast. Last time I do that. I should've become a meteorologist, it may be the only job you can continually screw up and get away with it by saying it is an inexact science. Arrived at sunbowl area at about 6:45 pm for some night skiing. Everyone knows not to expect good things on a Sunday night but I was really amazed at how poor the conditions were. Every trail seemed to be a death trap combination of bumps, ice, and most importantly gapers. Never seen so many beginners during a night session before. Most of them spent their night on their asses because of all the bumps and ice. I remember making the first turn upper cleo toward honeymoon and looking down at what was inevitably going to be the biggest clusterf--k of gapers and idiots i have ever skied through. There was at least a dozen people on the ground, each being helped up by another idiot who all seemed to be laughing. I guess i shouldnt be so mean because you have to start somewhere but my almost being killed by two seperate out of control idiots caused me to lose all sympathy for these people. On top of all this, it was f'ing raining. When we arrived it was snowing pretty decently, maybe a half inch had fallen, but it quickly changed to sleet and then rain. Decided to try marjies and rocket to avoid the crowds. Rocket was a death trap. Have no idea how i made it down without falling (i consider myself an intermediate skier since I only go 4 or 5 times a year) After about and hour and a half or so of putting up with such crappy conditions and gapers i decided to call it a night.

The rain really picked up as the night went on. TWC kept saying snow... but it was all rain. at about 10:30 i could hear some sleet mixing in when i went outside and it quickly changed to snow about 15 minutes later. When i woke up saturday there was about 4 inches of new snow.

Saturday morning was fantastic. Perfect snow, perfect weather. Some of the best conidtions camelback can offer were found this morning. The stevenson lift didnt open until 9 oclock and a lot of people were bitching about it. I didnt care because the marc anthony lift was running. That lift is the best one at camelback. There is never a line and it never stops. People were waiting in a large crowd by the bottom of sunbowl waiting for ski patrol to take the fence down. Im assuming they wanted first tracks on pharaoh or nile mile. Meanwhile I had big pocono all to myself for a couple runs. The wind on nile nile brought a lot of skiers to almost a stand still after making the first turn. Other than that temps were very nice. Things became crowded around 10:30 so I wrapped it up at 11.

By the looks of things, cb has almost enough snow to open the rest of the trails. I'm banking on 100% by the end of the week.

Have no idea how i made it down without falling (i consider myself an intermediate skier since I only go 4 or 5 times a year) After about and hour and a half or so of putting up with such crappy conditions and gapers i decided to call it a night.

Great report, but be nice 'cause on Rocket and Marjie's you're just a gaper from AC to others.

Great report, but be nice 'cause on Rocket and Marjie's you're just a gaper from AC to others.

Touche.

And now i will have to bite my tongue when i see shoobies feeding seagulls this summer.

Yeah, after reading that TR Rick James is either a decent troll, or huge gaper. I think.

Damn glenn please post with courtesy towards others. Not sure what is meant by decent troll but ill take it.