New Trail Map Official

Melissa

glades!!!! Sweet!

They've been there for 20 years :tinfoil:

I'm not a huge fan of the new trail map. The graphics are a little cartoony for my taste.

Congrats to Sno I guess, apparantly they added 9 new trails since the old 21 of Montage.

Edited by Schifdawg

They've been there for 20 years :tinfoil:

I'm not a huge fan of the new trail map. The graphics are a little cartoony for my taste.

Congrats to Sno I guess, apparantly they added 9 new trails since the old 21 of Montage.

Well, it's not a James Niehues, Schif....I saw a news story a while back about the guy who does the majority of ski area maps:

Map Dude

Crazy stat: Sno Mountain is now only 21 acres smaller than Whiteface Mountain even including The Slides.

Edited by ski

can you make snow in glades?? that'd be cool/nice

You can, but it kills the trees. I believe Belleayre commissioned a study through their state funding and found the best thing to do was just blow high on adjacent trails and let the wind blow it in somewhat naturally.

Wow and from I-81..it looks smaller than Blue... :blink::blink:

Yeah, but whenever we've skied Whiteface it always seemed more like a downstate area unless The Slides were open.

whiteface.jpeg

You can, but it kills the trees. I believe Belleayre commissioned a study through their state funding and found the best thing to do was just blow high on adjacent trails and let the wind blow it in somewhat naturally.

Yeah, but whenever we've skied Whiteface it always seemed more like a downstate area unless The Slides were open.

whiteface.jpeg

Whiteface is expanding to the peak on lookers right for next season. They are adding a new chair and a couple trails which should add to the acerage.

As far as feeling like a downstate area... I've never had a view as good as the one from the top of the summit quat anywhere. Including here at 12,060 with a 360 view.

Whiteface is expanding to the peak on lookers right for next season. They are adding a new chair and a couple trails which should add to the acerage.

As far as feeling like a downstate area... I've never had a view as good as the one from the top of the summit quat anywhere. Including here at 12,060 with a 360 view.

I don't mean the scenery---jeez, from the top of the summit quad you can see Sugarbush. It's gorgeous. I just meant that it doesn't ski as big as most New England resorts, IMO. Without looking it up, I'd say that Gore was a lot bigger. But I'm not harshing on WF---it has NO crowds and the people are generally friendlier than most. It's my second favorite place in NY.

The adding of new trails that are short is not neccessarily a marketing strategy to boost your trail count. You have to have a name for the sections of skiable terrain for association purposes for your skiers and boarders as well as ski patrol to being able to pinpoint reported injuries on the mountain. When you look at the map it should be cut and dry where you are as well as a name to go with it. Sno added the Baby Moose trail and it is their childrens learning center area. The naming of the trail makes it easy for anyone who is bringing their children to learn to ski or ride for the first time to locate it as well as the kids being able to associate what section of the mountain they where on for the day.

Edited by dwy33

The adding of new trails that are short is not neccessarily a marketing strategy to boost your trail count. You have to have a name for the sections of skiable terrain for association purposes for your skiers and boarders as well as ski patrol to being able to pinpoint reported injuries on the mountain. When you look at the map it should be cut and dry where you are as well as a name to go with it. Sno added the Baby Moose trail and it is their childrens learning center area. The naming of the trail makes it easy for anyone who is bringing their children to learn to ski or ride for the first time to locate it as well as the kids being able to associate what section of the mountain they where on for the day.

Very true. I recall last year someone telling a ski patroller in the Iron Horse line that someone was hurt on Runaway...I probably missed something, but the patroller got on the lift, but I was thinking maybe he could have just jumped out of line and skied down.

BTW, Upper Runaway is misspelled on the new map. And the new map says 204 acres, while the conditions page says 209. Not to be picky, but I'm just sayin'....

thats all the glades there putting in... not that there really anything new...but i thought they were putting in some glades towards the northface.

Where were you thinking, Keith? Maybe something that drops in just after the right turn onto the first Smoke headwall, crosses the cat track, then eventually funnels into the opening under the lift? That would be my vote, but ski patrol would be pretty busy loading bodies onto the Phoebe. But, heck, they're pretty good at it...

ALL of the "new" beginner trails need to be removed, boosting the trail count by naming 50ft sections of the base area is dumb, and Cannonball should not be a "double square".

Even though it makes reading the map a little annoying, I think it makes it easier for people (ex. me trying to find my friends that have skied there only once or twice before) to locate each other. And I agree with dwy33. I think it's nice for kids learning to ski to be able to say where they skied. It also nice for kids to be able to tell their friends "i skied on baby moose" or wherever rather than "The Beginner Area".

cannonball could be a double square...except for that HUGE headwall.

And i just noticed, Smoke is now a single Diamond...That might be a little deceiving to first time Sno skiers.

I do like the new map...i think it's much easier to read.

cannonball could be a double square...except for that HUGE headwall.

And i just noticed, Smoke is now a single Diamond...That might be a little deceiving to first time Sno skiers.

I do like the new map...i think it's much easier to read.

Agreed re: cannonball. That second headwall has given me trouble on more than one occassion! I swear, boomer is easier than Cannonball.

Re: new map being easier to read--sort of, except for that beginner area. That just looks a little too cluttered and confusing.