16 Year Old Dies at Camelback

skifreak

Just got off the phone with my mom. She was saying Asp got closed down today because there appeared to be a serious accident. Reall sad stuff, especially for the survivors. Sounded like the skier/rider was alone and was found by a good samaritan. Be careful out there.

bad snow conditions aren't the only cause of accidents.... for all we know it might just be a coincidence that it happened on the slopes at all at this point...

gotta wait for more details that's for sure... either way someone out there lost a 16year old son today... that's the worst part of all of it...

I doubt it. his dad said he was an accomplished skiier that could ski double black diamonds at resorts out west.

That was probably a quote they got from the Dad himself and usually anyone who classifies their skiing ability by wether or not they can make it to the bottom of a trail isn't really all that great in the first place.

That was probably a quote they got from the Dad himself and usually anyone who classifies their skiing ability by wether or not they can make it to the bottom of a trail isn't really all that great in the first place.

Unless the dad was a goober referring to his son (who wasn't) who could make it down double diamonds. For the most part I agree with what you are saying though.

I'm not surpised at all.

We get bus loads of first time skiers and boarders and most of them are neverevers and

they don't take a lesson or wear any protection.

I watched about a dozen kids drop into the headwall on Jane's Lane and shoot straight down

the wall and crash with total yardsales on Friday.

Not a one of those kids should have ever been anywhere near a headwall.

I was riding the lift over Lehigh and wished I wore the helmetcam that day.

So it really doesn't matter how good you are if come flying over that headwall

and have to plow through that maze of bodies and poles and skies.....

and the other 6 kids pretending they were potted plants just sitting in the middle of the hill

with their snowboards upright in the snow....just waiting for someone to fall on them.

Even the best skier in the world can get cut in half by a board or stabbed by a pole in that mess.

well i was on asp at 7:00 PM and conditions were superb for carving (plenty of snow and grip)

Still, he could have been a beginner. I help run a group at Drexel U that does outdoor trips...we did two trips to Blue this winter. Both times, kids got hurt because they went on trails they didn't belong on. In January one kid broke his neck, i think it might have been his first time on skis and he decided he was ready to kill the park. In Feb a kid went down a trail he couldn't handle and fell pretty bad...was walking but said he was gonna get his back xrayed at the ski patrol's recommendation.

People need to understand their limits when theyre skiing. Beginners don't belong in the park, or on diamonds until they can handle themselves on the easy trails. Head protection is also a great idea...I only bought a helmet three trips ago but I think it was wise to spend the $80. Accidents do happen, but there's plenty that can be done to prevent them sometimes.

as far as people not understanding their limits, or their kids' limits, this season especially has convinced me that like 90% of parents who take their kids skiing/boarding secretly hate their kids and WANT to see them get hurt. no other explanation for parents who take their kids who are barely big enough to carry around their own equipment literally screaming their way down blue and black trails there's no way in hell they were ready for while the parent trails behind yelling useless advice.

it's really sad.

it's a shame this happened to this kid. so many people don't seem to understand how badly hurt you can get, no matter how good you are.

no the kid was a really good skier. he had gone up with his family on a skiing trip. i was friends with him and he went to my school. he had a great future ahead of him. the autopsy said that he died from multiple internal injuries. jake was a great kid and will be missed by many. RIP jake

Edited by drumsrock24

as far as people not understanding their limits, or their kids' limits, this season especially has convinced me that like 90% of parents who take their kids skiing/boarding secretly hate their kids and WANT to see them get hurt.

I witnessed a mother encouraging her 6yr old? to hit the second jump at BOulder while she took a picture. He drop out of the sky from 10 foot straight on to his side. I wonder if she got the shot? cause I have no idea of what she possibly could be thinking..

no the kid was a really good skier. he had gone up with his family on a skiing trip. i was friends with him and he went to my school. he had a great future ahead of him. the autopsy said that he died from multiple internal injuries. jake was a great kid and will be missed by many. RIP jake

Really sorry to hear it's someone you were friends with. Vibes++

This is just awful. Things change in an instant.

• 5 weeks later...

My prayers have gone out to the family & the boy. I was there while it was happening. The ones that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread that certainly deserve it are the SKI PATROLLERS!! I watched from the lift and in the base area as they worked incredibly hard to save him!