Conditions: really f*ing crowded

Ski

Was today a holiday Saturday? Holy crap! I had to park in one of those backwoods lots and hike to the overpriced ticket window..."Discovery Day"???? That means you you buy one adult afternoon ticket and one junior ticket and it "only" costs $60?

Oh, well...The Hump was pretty cool, with a crusty headwall. Cliffhanger was screwy, with bumps at the top, then an icy headwall that shot you down in bumps. Why is Nile Mile the best slope at CB? CB was be a great place if nobody knew about it...like Montage!

Was today a holiday Saturday? Holy crap! I had to park in one of those backwoods lots and hike to the overpriced ticket window..."Discovery Day"???? That means you you buy one adult afternoon ticket and one junior ticket and it "only" costs $60?

Oh, well...The Hump was pretty cool, with a crusty headwall. Cliffhanger was screwy, with bumps at the top, then an icy headwall that shot you down in bumps. Why is Nile Mile the best slope at CB? CB was be a great place if nobody knew about it...like Montage!

Nice ski patrol jacket :lol: That's your daughter right? And not some teenage girl you found on the slopes?

Yeah, daughter...that's why I was at CB...it really would be such a great little ski area if it weren't for the hordes of people. We'd wait at the top of the Hump for a few people to clear the headwall and just as it opened up, a group of other people would ski over our ski tails right past us and then stop halfway down the headwall to talk. It happened every time on every slope. There's just no way to ski a run without being next to someone and worrying about what they about to do. And I'd have to nominate Honeymoon Lane as the most crowded ski slope in America.

Nile Mile is the best trail at CB...especially when covered with fresh snow...it doesn't get as much traffic as the rest of the mountain.

I saw DaveK...he was sitting in one of those old beanbag chairs behind the food counter surrounded by at least 15 empty hamburger boxes. I think he was asleep, but he had his goggles on, so I couldn't tell. It was pretty gross. He'd do pretty good in the eating part of Fear Factor, for sure.

We were going to meet at Montage, but I had a game in NJ, so I came down to CB.

CB "skis" bigger because of all the runouts. But Asp and Hump and really short and very narrow---as is Rocket---so you sure aren't making big GS turns. I've been skiing Marjie's forever and it's got great pitch, but it gets skied-out every day before lunchtime. It becomes crusty, with rutted bumps from all the bunny sideslippers. I mean, ski hills are open to everyone. IMHO, if you buy a ticket in the Poconos, you should spend your time on any slope you want. Don't stop and chat in the middle of a headwall, but feel free to try to ski down it.

Nile Mile is too flat at the top and once you get flying through the corners, you are apt to be spotted by a yellow jacket and reminded that you are on a green circle and should slow down or lose your pass. Isn't Nile Mile CB's version of Sidewinder?

Big Pocono used to be my favorite...when it's groomed. Kind of steep and wide and you can arc pretty good turns. But then it's over.

Montage is about wide, steep headwalls that drop you at the slow lift. My wife hates it; I love it.

Nile Mile is too flat at the top and once you get flying through the corners, you are apt to be spotted by a yellow jacket and reminded that you are on a green circle and should slow down or lose your pass. Isn't Nile Mile CB's version of Sidewinder?

I take it you are talking about sidewinder at blue, and if you are the answer is no. First off its a terrain park. Second its MUCH steeper than nile. Its cuts back and forth a couple of times, but not true switchbacks like nile. Also it is unlike nile in that it has nothing on the sides, with the exception of some hips provided by snowmobile access trails.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

So do you all think Nile would make a good terrain park?  Like shawnee did with their longest green run, except with better set-up one would hope. :D

No, I don't. It has some sections that would work well with a park and other sections that wouldn't. Probobly the biggest problem is there are sections where not enough speed would be an issue, and its not steep enough for natural landings. Camelback doesn't seem to know how to build jumps so, the manmade landings would be lousy. I stick by my orginal idea, that if CB wanted to move the park, they should combine both parks and put everything on raceway. Pitch is resonable with a couple of rollers for natural landings, super wide, to fit multiple features side by side. Its own lift. It's quite ideal, but they would have to move nastar and I don't really see that happening. It's a nice thought though.

Besides, why would you want to get ride for nile. It's so perfect, its the best TRAIL CB has. Why would they throw away a good thing like that. I believe in utilizing resources available. And that trail is a beautiful cruising resource. I like parks, but it would be a shame to see nile filled with hits and rails.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

No, I don't. It has some sections that would work well with a park and other sections that wouldn't. Probobly the biggest problem is there are sections where not enough speed would be an issue, and its not steep enough for natural landings. Camelback doesn't seem to know how to build jumps so, the manmade landings would be lousy. I stick by my orginal idea, that if CB wanted to move the park, they should combine both parks and put everything on raceway. Pitch is resonable with a couple of rollers for natural landings, super wide, to fit multiple features side by side. Its own lift. It's quite ideal, but they would have to move nastar and I don't really see that happening. It's a nice thought though.

Besides, why would you want to get ride for nile. It's so perfect, its the best TRAIL CB has. Why would they throw away a good thing like that. I believe in utilizing resources available. And that trail is a beautiful cruising resource. I like parks, but it would be a shame to see nile filled with hits and rails.

I agree, Nile is one of the best runs in the Poconos especially when all of the side walls are covered in snow.

I agree, Nile is one of the best runs in the Poconos especially when all of the side walls are covered in snow.

It may be the best run at CB, but saying it's the best run in the poconos is a little, wait, VERY farfetched. Blue's Paradise is MUCH longer then nile, has those walls that you speak of, and is very wide. However, ski999 claims his white lightning is the steepest trail in the poconos. I think something along the lines of Switchback at Blue, or some of the blacks at Elk.

I would second Ski999 saying white lightning is the steepest trail in PA....

If they blow on Hump a certain way, you can get a cliff in the middle, making it steeper, but that is only for about 15 feet... White lightning has a nice long pitch...Good stuff.

It may be the best run at CB, but saying it's the best run in the poconos is a little, wait, VERY farfetched.  Blue's Paradise is MUCH longer then nile, has those walls that you speak of, and is very wide.  However, ski999 claims his white lightning is the steepest trail in the poconos.  I think something along the lines of Switchback at Blue, or some of the blacks at Elk.

Paridise is longer, but I wouldn't say its better. The walls on nile are the perfect height and pitch for wall hits. Paradise's walls are kinda weird, and don't follow past the first stretch. Also the turn on paradise just aren't as nice, and there are WAY more people that ride paradise than ride nile. Don't get me wrong I love paradise, but I think nile has it beat. Although, I'm not sure I would go so far as saying its the best trail in PA. Main St . is a beautiful trail, because it stays in pretty good condition all the time. Even when the rest of the mountain is beat, main st still has lots of runs before its totally shot. Also, its pitch, is so steady. I wouldn't mind something steeper, but all the blacks I have ridden in PA are so up and down, challange has two drops, razors has two, cliffy has two, the front four at CB are just way to short, and they still don't manage to keep an even pitch. The only thing thats a pain about main st is trying to take laps on it. Either cut across the mountain and cut back to ride the quad, or take the slow lift. As of right now though, my pick for best trail in pa goes to main st.

BTW, why is the topic title "a little trespassing at CB"? Was there some ticketless skiing going on? Or just a reference to the fact that you were outside your home mountain.

I don't think he was banned from the mountain? He was at least from the message board :lol: DaveK would definatly NOT want to see Ski999 there, he'd have a cow. Well, he'd have his second cow.

Yeah, daughter...that's why I was at CB...it really would be such a great little ski area if it weren't for the hordes of people. We'd wait at the top of the Hump for a few people to clear the headwall and just as it opened up, a group of other people would ski over our ski tails right past us and then stop halfway down the headwall to talk. It happened every time on every slope. There's just no way to ski a run without being next to someone and worrying about what they about to do. And I'd have to nominate Honeymoon Lane as the most crowded ski slope in America.

That's why I always called it Suicide Alley....

I would second Ski999 saying white lightning is the steepest trail in PA....

If they blow on Hump a certain way, you can get a cliff in the middle, making it steeper, but that is only for about 15 feet... White lightning has a nice long pitch...Good stuff.

Actually, the steepest trail in PA is at Denton -- Avalanche at 66 degrees.

Edited by sibhusky

Well uhh I have never been there...So it doesn't count :lol:

Siblet had her PA Cup SL's there on a parallel trail. That was an eye opener. The place is like a volcano core or something. It just pokes straight up. Really small, but a lot of angle on their trails.