JF fights cancer.

toast21602

Jack Frost joins the fight after instructor's battle with cancer

Ski for the cure: Fundraiser for breast cancer awareness.

By Gary R. Blockus | Of The Morning Call

February 20, 2009

When Bernie Oldroyd was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago this month, one passion kept her outlook positive.

''The one thing that got me through it was thinking about skiing,'' the 63-year-old from Piscataway, N.J., said. ''I was a ski instructor. Before it happened, I felt I was invincible, and it was devastating to hear.''

But Oldroyd, a ski instructor at Jack Frost Mountain, kept a positive attitude throughout her fight.

''My oncologist would say, 'Here comes my skier,' '' Oldroyd recalled. ''I am a breast cancer survivor and I came through it very well. I was diagnosed through regular screening and early detection, and I wanted to convey that to other women.''

The result was a ''Ski For The Cure'' day at Jack Frost last year that raised $7,000 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Jack Frost will host the second annual ''Ski For The Cure'' Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Saturday, Feb. 28, with proceeds going to the Komen Foundation's Northeastern Pennsylvania Affiliate.

So far, this month-long campaign at Jack Frost has raised just over $4,000, and that's before the big day.

On that last day of February, three fundraising efforts are expected to help raise that jackpot for breast cancer awareness, 75 percent of which will stay in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Monies will go toward breast cancer detection awareness and early diagnosis/treatment programs.

Jack Frost will donate a percentage of lift tickets sold on that day to the event. Skiers also can download a pledge/donation form from the ski resort's Web site and get friends to pledge an amount for the number of runs that day.

Skiers also can buy breast cancer awareness ribbons for $1, and anyone who donates a minimum $10 will be entered in a raffle to win a season pass for the 2009-10 season, tickets to the resort's Blues Festival and gift certificates from local merchants.

The big event of the day, however, will be an 11 a.m. dedication run down one of the trails.

''We're dedicating that ski run to people who lost their battle to breast cancer, to the people who are still fighting it, and to those who survived,'' Oldroyd said.

Oldroyd said that if she didn't have skiing to look forward to, she may not have recovered so quickly from breast cancer.

''I used to sit there in the treatment room and look around and everyone had this somber look on their faces,'' she said. ''You need a positive attitude, and this 'Ski For The Cure' is the best way of me being able to give back.''

Wanting to get back out on the mountain helped give Oldroyd that positive outlook.

''Bernie is one of those passionate people,'' said Michael Cloeren of Jack Frost-Big Boulder. ''She spearheaded this and it has taken off. Last year we raised $7,500 and are hopeful we will break that record this year, knock on wood.''

Pledge sheets are available online or at Jack Frost's guest services window. For information or to take part, go to http://www.jfbb.com .

Blue Mountain charity event: Blue Mountain Ski Area is hosting Habitat for Humanity Weekend this Saturday and Sunday. Blue Mountain is looking to partner with skiers to raise money to build a house for Habitat for Humanity. Skiers are asked to make donations throughout the weekend and receive a treat from Just Born Candies in return.

Demo Day at Camelback: Burton Snowboards has a demo day at Camelback Mountain Resort starting at 9 a.m. Saturday to showcase its newest line of snowboards and bindings.

Shawnee Winter Carnival Sunday: Shawnee Mountain will hold its Winter Carnival Day on Sunday, featuring ice sculptures, music, games, product sampling, music, outdoor barbecue and more. Most activities will occur between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

gary.blockus@mcall.com

610-820-6782