UTAH TR 3/20 to 3/23

Timeless

Hi all,

firstly, thanks to Moe G for the positive thoughts yesterday, we did indeed get dumped on at snowbird, they are claiming 21" total and I can't confirm or deny that but I can say it was at least knee deep first thing this morning at it continued to snow all day.

OK, so here's my full trip report , Ill try and add some pic's when I can work out why I don't get an option to attach them to this post.

Friday 3/20 : Brighton

Hot and sunny, nice powdery groomers on all sides of the resort, no lack of cover, but an obvious lack of recent snow. The off-trail surface was hard in the morning but softened up nicely in the afternoon, before turning to glue in places. Did some runs in the middle section to warm up, then spent most of the morning on the Millicent side, no lift lines, before moving over to clayton peak for the afternoon. The runs down from clayton were "interesting" with the softening snow and I took a tumble on Desperado where I stood my board on it's tail and tweaked my ankles, turned out later the front one is sprained. Overall a great day, no new things for me and I wasn't adventurous enough to take any of J Law's addvice on going outside the gates, but Brighton is always a "happy place" for me.

Saturday 3/21 : Powder Mountain

Warm and sunny again with increasing wind and some clouds moving in during the afternoon, worked out great because just as the snow had softened up nicely the temps dropped and sun was out less and so it stayed decent. Spent most of the day dropping off of either the paradise lift or the hidden lake express, found lots of decent trees (nicely spaced so could be taken at speed need in the soft snow). This was my first visit to PowMow but it won't be my last, my only criticism would be the stupid "lift" to get to Cobabe Canyon and the long flat run out from the bottom of that area. The lodge/overall set-up was very "rustic" but everything needed was on hand. I'm definitely looking forward to a future visit with fresh snow.

Sunday 3/22 : Canyons

Nothing more to say on this one, maybe unfair due to time of year and conditions, but not recommended.

Monday 3/23 : Heaven (also known as snowbird)

Fresh powder, not too many people, took a few starter runs in untouched powder off of the willbere lift, absolutely f'in awesome. Then headed over to the tram (we didn't go there first for the following reasons), coming off of the tram was like walking into some kind of blast chiller. Both mineral basin and road to provo were closed all day, so not much choice down from the top. Chose to head down into peruvian gulch, bad choice, the wind made visibility virtually zero for a long way down, it was genuinely a terrifying experience, I tried a bit of chips run as a safe option but that just proved to me what a complete waste of time that "trail" is, at the first opportunity I dropped into primrose and things go much better. Cutting across the hill (the top of a wide face I think was called cirque) I ended up on mach schnell which was amazing (steep, deep powder, trees adding shelter and better light, this was worth the tram-top experience. Spent the rest of the day running all over the resort, looking for remaing pockets of powder, there were plenty of places that were a little harder to get to that still had untracked spots, and ended the day back at willbere which amazingly was relatively untouched and had some of the best conditions there. If I can get the pics posted, you will see that the conditions after they closed the lifts were still awesome.

This was the best day of my (relatively short) time riding, the combination of snowbird and fresh snow is a tough experience to beat. The last run of the day ended with dropping off the bottom of mach schnell into a 2-3 feet deep pocket of untouched powder leading out to the parking lot at high speed and seeing nothing but powder all around me, awesome moment that will live long in my memory.

One thing with snowbird though is that it always finds many ways to remind me what a novice I am.

So that was my weekend, coming home tomorrow, going to try the pictures now.

OK, someone help me out with the picture thing, if I open someone else's post I get an attachment option but not on this post.

Help!

good to hear you had a good time

I don't know about the attachment option, I always upload them to imageshack or picasa and then use the forum link. The forum link will look like this [/img]web address [/img] with no slash in the first tag.

Edited by Johnny Law