Race report: Copper Mountain

skimom

Here is the link for pics from the Copper Mountain training program, Held the week bridging Oct and Nov. This is a great training program - we had a peak to ourselves - along with a handful of other race groups. No sitting around politely listening to the coach jabber to one racer - it was basically self-paced laps from 8:30 until we downloaded.

http://fwbdesign.com/ski/2005coppermt/

Pic:

1. Partners in crime

3. The head coach (in blue)

4. Second headwall. It's hard to appreciate from the photos, but it had a nice pitch. The first headwall was up to the skiers left, around a bend. The run made two to three training courses.

9. Downloading. See, there were other women, afterall (note the ponytail).

13-14. We were videoed 4 times daily. Postmortems were done between 5 and 7 PM, along with race strategy discussions.

16-18. We had one of Bode Millers coaches one morning (in the Gray).

18. His advice to me: get more edge angle, or you will be doing push ups all afternoon. It worked - I peeled 4 seconds off my run during the morning he was there!

19. My roomate (red helmet)

22. Hike up Vail pass one afternoon. Snow limited how far we could go. I'm not exactly dressed for it.

24. Slalom day

25. Racer ready!

26. On the course

27. Franklin (the photographer)

28. Packing to go - last day.

29. -> The base at Copper on opening day (our last day). We had total tranquility until then...

Not to speak for 'Mom, but it's tipping the ski more; angling the edge of the ski so the base is raised off the snow. It's pounded into racers in training to get your feet away from your body and tip the ski on edge. This creates more edge angle and the ski carves the turn, rather than skids.

The hard part is to trust yourself.

A coach has told me to let the trees on the side of the slope read the words on the my ski bases.

Here's Bode creating some edge angle:

_40989563_miller_getty300.jpg

Edited by ski999

i got yelled at by my coach at camp, bc we were sking in a course with out poles and i almost fell like 20 times and i was scraping my hand to help me i guess from falling, so he yelled at me

From your avatar it looks like you have some edge angle going.