New toy

Ski

Just a couple of shots from yesterday as I'm trying out my new camera, which is a Canon Rebel XT 8mp. The pool cameras I use for news assignments are the 20D's, but I didn't want to spend too much for a camera I'd be leaving burried in a plastic bag under a beach towel when we're surfing. This is at our shore house on Barnegat Bay, near the bridge to LBI. Anyway:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yea, that was way out of line doug

No, it's okay...I tried prank calling his mom, but she was into it and we phone sexed six or seven times in the last week.

And thanks, Skifreak. Just screwing around with a new toy. I like film a lot more, but digital is so easy for snapshot stuff.

Just a couple of shots from yesterday as I'm trying out my new camera, which is a Canon Rebel XT 8mp. The pool cameras I use for news assignments are the 20D's, but I didn't want to spend too much for a camera I'd be leaving burried in a plastic bag under a beach towel when we're surfing. This is at our shore house on Barnegat Bay, near the bridge to LBI. Anyway:

Nice shots ski. Quick question- does the rebel xt have a time setting? Can you do long exposures (like, hours long for star trails and shit) If you can, do you need a remote, or is it in the camera? :rock

The shutter is 1/4000 to 30 seconds, plus bulb. You should actually use a remote cable release (not included in the bundle) when using bulb, just to get rid of the camera shake when you release the shutter.

The camera definitely needs the EG-E3 battery pack, or it feels a little too light for me. Even the 20D are a little whimpy. The battery pack attaches where a typical motor drive would and gives you an extra pack, or you can use six AA's.

The other drawback is the 3 frames per second "burst". It's just barely acceptable. I still shoot film for work and use Canon T90's, which run at 5 fps.

Having that little built in flash is pretty cool. The hot shoe accepts "real" flash units, even the old, high power Vivitar 283's that I use, but it's awesome to have the pop up flash for snapshots.

The other drawback is the 3 frames per second "burst". It's just barely acceptable. I still shoot film for work and use Canon T90's, which run at 5 fps.

Yikes. I'd like to spend some money on a DSLR but I really don't want to settle for anything less than 9fps.

Maybe once I hit the lotto...

So, uh, how many fps is your current 'film' camera?

That all depends on how fast I can shoot and wind in a second.

I'm no big-time photographer. I want a DSLR mainly to shoot sequences. There is absolutely no way I'd ever be able to shoot sequences on film, between film and processing it'd be beyond expensive.

I kind of feel bad for the kids because They're like 80 already and finally getting their inheritance if they're still alive.

That's why I'll probably end up giving my kids most of their inheritance before I die. At least I'll be able to watch them put the money to use while I'll still alive.

I think it's a little overpriced at roughly $800. I used to shoot Nikon F3HP's, but Nikon also made a great lower priced FE-2 (with the MD-12 motor) that could handle professional assignments. It seems like they try to jam every possible feature---both good and bad--- into these mid-level digital cameras and it makes them too expensive for what they are.

Ski im sorry but you should have gotten a d70.Their picture quality is so much better and they are really good for sequence photos.Im really into cameras and know alot so if u ever need to know anything you can always ask me.

And the reason the xt is so light is cause they use a very cheap plastic unlike nikon.

Edited by xNick11

Thanks, Nick...I'm actually a professional sports photographer. It's the 'snapshot' stuff where I'm trying to match what I need with not minding beating up or losing. The reason I took the Rebel XT over the D70 was because the menu is basically the same as some of my work cameras.

Plus, I shoot a lot of longer lens stuff on manual focus. Canon and Nikon lenses focus in the opposite direction. It used to make me nuts when I used Nikon F3's, but my newspaper pool equipment was Canon. A lot of newspapers have long, expensive lenses and camera bodies that are shared among the staff---they are too expensive to own by each photographer for so few assignments. The only real reason to lug a 600 f4 or a 400 f2.8 lens around would be for sports. So I'd be shooting my wider lenses focusing one way, while trying to follow focus on the field focusing the other way. And blowing a lot of shots.

Anyway, that's why I stick with Canon for everything. You're right about the D70; I picked it up and played around with it and it does have a better feel. And while Nikkor lenses were better than Canon, I'm not so sure the crappy glass in either low end lenses make much of a difference.

Thanks for the input...even though it's been my job for a really long time, I'm the opposite of a gear geek. I know amazingly little about gear when compared to just about every photographer I meet. I want simple and to not have to think about it.

Ski is a professional photographer. I think YOU need to ask HIM.

Ha, good morning, Sib! I was typing while you were...and as I wrote, I'm not a gear person, so I never turn away advise. In fact, I shoot almost all my exposures--even flash--on manual, mostly because I dreaded ever opening an owners manual.

I'm no big-time photographer. I want a DSLR mainly to shoot sequences. There is absolutely no way I'd ever be able to shoot sequences on film, between film and processing it'd be beyond expensive.

Same here :no

..Saving up for a nikon D70s

Dh, look into an olympus stylus 800. I've used one for some sequencing shots and it's nice. The camera is 8mp (point and shoot-not dslr). It'll take as many for how long you hold the shutter down. Only downside is - you don't get full picture quality. But something to look into anyway if you're interested in cheap sequences.

Here's some slideshows, previously posted, of hikes up there. Haven't taken one this year yet, the Pass didn't open until June 23 or so.

http://www.siberianrescue.com/other/Siyeh_Pass/

http://www.siberianrescue.com/other/Highline%20Hike/

Edited by sibhusky