Helmets

bigdaddyk

Sidenote - some of the plastic helmets are one shot only, I.E. that shot would have been the end of the helmet. Metal helmets usually aren't one shot helmets. However, about 90% of helmets are one shot helmets now, including all the R.E.D. and Giro ones. This doesn't mean the helmet is going to dissintegrate and you'll have a bunch of pieces. It means that the strength of it is compromised in that area, so if you hit it again there it won't help as much. Metal just bends a tiny bit but is still just as strong. This is one of those things that not many people know and you get a huge amount of BS from manufacturs about, but check out the websites and you'll see in the fine print it says that.

My understanding was that's it's the liner that's "one-shot" not the shell. Once the foam has compressed once (as it's designed to do so your brain slows in a controlled manner) it's no good to do it again. Pro-tec has moved to a "multi impact" liner for most of it's range now.

I had to replace my Giro Fuse this year after banging it hard on some rocks last season, I think it saved me a severe injury (punctured the shell in a couple of places). Giro offer a service to check your helmet after an accident but it seemed pretty obvious in this case so I didn't bother.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic