Mountain recomendations

mystrymaster

I am taking my family out to a mountain this weekend and we are in a bind as we do not know which mountain to go to.

We have been to bear creek last year (me, wife and brother(1)) twice We are all advanced beginners, we will ski/ride the whole mountain at bear creek except the black trails. and the other two skiers (brother(2) and brother(3)) will ski/ride just the greens in the begining and we might get them on some easier blues.

Bear Creek is about 1 hour and 10 minutes from us.

The other mounatin we were looking at was camelback - we have never been there however it looks like it might provide us with a good day skiing/riding as from the pictures the trails look to be a little longer and it has more of them. Plus it's just a different mountain to ski so that is always good. But I am begining to get concerned about some of the stuff I am reading about on here about the skiiers/riders at camelback.

Camelback is about 2 hours away

I am reaching out to this community to help us have the best weekend possible

I would suggest Jack Frost or Big Boulder based on your info. (your ticket is good for both hills!) Start at Jack Frost and end the day/night at Big Boulder. Take a lesson for your first times out!

Blue is too crowded as is Camelback and thier green slopes are typically a mess with people all but scraped off by lunchtime. Best to wait for them to both be 100% before venturing there.

Bear has new trails so you might consider going back there to start your season.

Mystrymaster:

Thanks for considering coming to PA (and the Poconos) for your ski outing!! All the Pocono Mountain Ski Areas are excited about the recent cold temperatures and are making tons of snow.

For skiiing and riding at CB -- there is a decent selection of slopes open (and more by the weekend) and several lifts to get you around the slopes. You can read all sorts of opinions in the MB as to where to go -- so I'll leave out my personal bias -- and please consider visiting the website for trail/lift/rate information

In additon to the skiing and riding for the weekend, we have a couple of live bands playing in the main lounge (it's usually a real good time).

Pocono Duo plays on Friday 2- 6

Right Hand Red plays on Saturday 4- 8pm

papsteeze - thanks My brother (1) has been on jfbb and stated he didn't like them at all and liked bear creek better.

Interesting...... care to elaborate? keep in mind that the ski areas change year to year. I understand a once burned twice shy. Then you should choose Bear keeping in mind though, that Bear is becoming more park orientated you will likely experience that more so than Jack Frost. Bear was my top reccomendation for first time outs last year and still is if travel is a concern however, keep in mind that JF has a lot more terrain than BC (Bear). Good luck and report back!

papa - I wish I could elaborate more - he just stated that he has gone there and as a whole liked BC better. (He's not a very wordy person) I know that BC added another beginer park this year and don't think that will be so bad.

SkiCamelBack - Rates are not really an issue it is really coming down to, travel vs mountain experience. I want to go to camelback as I want to ski some of the trails that are on the mountain I just have a fear with the inexperience of most of the riders.

If you want to try something else you might want to think about Shawnee. The customers are a little more reasonable then at CB. Also I think the free skiing will be a little more varied than at BC and I think it's a little bit taller (maybe someone can verify).

If you take a day off and go midweek, you will have a great time at any mountain including CB, but the weekends can be a bit sketchy. I believe Papasteeze does most of his skiing/riding on the weekends so his opinion about BC and JFBB being a good place as well shouldn't totally be discarded.

I want to go to camelback as I want to ski some of the trails that are on the mountain I just have a fear with the inexperience of most of the riders.

Based on this I have to agree with Papasteeze, wait until they are 100%, some of the best beginner/intermediate trails have no snow on them, and it's a mad house right now.

At the very least wait until nile mile and raceway are open.