CB this weekend

Timeless

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out 3 times this weekend, with a Friday morning session at CB (only 2 hours) then unfortunately was persuaded by a skiing friend to go with him to Shawnee on saturday, then back to CB on sunday, early morning and late afternoon with my kids.

Bottom line: with some decent snowmaking weather, CB has really got it's act together and Friday morning was one of the best days I've had in PA. The snow quality and grooming were excellent and there was enough loose "powder" blowing over from the trails they are still making snow on to provide an awesome surface. Yes it was 'kin cold at first lift but both the quads were running, Rocket was in great condition (marjies less so, a little "pebbly"), raceway and pharaoh were great. There were no crowds, most times the trail would be empty in front of you. My friend from work that I persuaded to come for an early morning session before we head to the office was amazed by the conditions and lack of people as he has only ski'd CB on nights and weekends before.

Saturday at shawnee made me appreciate CB all the more. The conditions were very patchy, they are still blowing alot of snow and had many trails closed off, the crowds were horrible and it seemed that 80% of the people there were one-weekend-a-year types stood around in family groups getting a photograph on every bend in the trail. I usually quite like riding at Shawnee, I find it is usually quiet and although not very challenging it has some decent runs, but this weekend has really soiled that perception.

Sunday morning was another great CB morning. Parked by the Stevenson, my son and I were one of the first on the lifts, Nile, Pharaoh, Raceway all in fantastic condition, beautiful weather, we had a blast up 'til around 11 when the crowds started to build (still not bad). We left and I came back at 2pm with my daughter and while the surface had deteriorated quite a lot on some trails (bactrian was particularly scraped off), the conditions were still very good. Lift lines were quite long on the quad when we arrived but were down to 3-5 minutes by the time we left. Raceway triple had a small line when we arrived and none by around 3pm. We didn't venture to the west side, but a couple on the quad said it was much "more icy" on the east side. We didn't see a single patch of ice all day, I assume they just meant scraped off.

If the weather stays as predicted they should be close to 100% by next weekend :wiggle

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out 3 times this weekend, with a Friday morning session at CB (only 2 hours) then unfortunately was persuaded by a skiing friend to go with him to Shawnee on saturday, then back to CB on sunday, early morning and late afternoon with my kids.

Bottom line: with some decent snowmaking weather, CB has really got it's act together and Friday morning was one of the best days I've had in PA. The snow quality and grooming were excellent and there was enough loose "powder" blowing over from the trails they are still making snow on to provide an awesome surface. Yes it was 'kin cold at first lift but both the quads were running, Rocket was in great condition (marjies less so, a little "pebbly"), raceway and pharaoh were great. There were no crowds, most times the trail would be empty in front of you. My friend from work that I persuaded to come for an early morning session before we head to the office was amazed by the conditions and lack of people as he has only ski'd CB on nights and weekends before.

Saturday at shawnee made me appreciate CB all the more. The conditions were very patchy, they are still blowing alot of snow and had many trails closed off, the crowds were horrible and it seemed that 80% of the people there were one-weekend-a-year types stood around in family groups getting a photograph on every bend in the trail. I usually quite like riding at Shawnee, I find it is usually quiet and although not very challenging it has some decent runs, but this weekend has really soiled that perception.

Sunday morning was another great CB morning. Parked by the Stevenson, my son and I were one of the first on the lifts, Nile, Pharaoh, Raceway all in fantastic condition, beautiful weather, we had a blast up 'til around 11 when the crowds started to build (still not bad). We left and I came back at 2pm with my daughter and while the surface had deteriorated quite a lot on some trails (bactrian was particularly scraped off), the conditions were still very good. Lift lines were quite long on the quad when we arrived but were down to 3-5 minutes by the time we left. Raceway triple had a small line when we arrived and none by around 3pm. We didn't venture to the west side, but a couple on the quad said it was much "more icy" on the east side. We didn't see a single patch of ice all day, I assume they just meant scraped off.

If the weather stays as predicted they should be close to 100% by next weekend :wiggle

Yeah Pharo and the upper part of Bactrian were pretty scraped off early.