Plastic or Steel?

zaldon

Which are better bindings for a snowboard?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which are better bindings for a snowboard?

• Plastic-Clip-on
    • Steel-Clip-on
    • Plastic-strap-on
    • Stee-strap-on

• 1 month later...

I have rode on a bunch of bidings and love my metal basplates. You feel some more vibration but the response is awesome. I won't ever buy a plastic binding again. Right now I ride Ride Flight MIGs on my all mountain setup, and Ride Flight Tomcats on my park board. I love these bindings, they weigh next to nothing and are lighter than almost all the plastic bindings out there. In my opinion Ride bindings are the best on the market.

I have rode on a bunch of bidings and love my metal basplates.  You feel some more vibration but the response is awesome.  I won't ever buy a plastic binding again.  Right now I ride Ride Flight MIGs on my all mountain setup, and Ride Flight Tomcats on my park board.  I love these bindings, they weigh next to nothing and are lighter than almost all the plastic bindings out there.  In my opinion Ride bindings are the best on the market.

My buddy's ride bindings fell apart after one season of use. He talked to other people with Ride's and they had similar problems. I don't have any desire to test my luck with them. I like my solomans, but may try the burtons with the toecups next season.

My buddy's ride bindings fell apart after one season of use. He talked to other people with Ride's and they had similar problems. I don't have any desire to test my luck with them. I like my solomans, but may try the burtons with the toecups next season.

Really thats odd, I have about 40 days on My Flight MIGs and have not had any problems with them compared to my Drakes which broke about 5 times. Which bindings did he have, I have heard of problems with the lower end stuff, but not that much from the SPI and up. I do hear soloman makes a good binding.

Really thats odd, I have about 40 days on My Flight MIGs and have not had any problems with them compared to my Drakes which broke about 5 times.  Which bindings did he have, I have heard of problems with the lower end stuff, but not that much from the SPI and up.  I do hear soloman makes a good binding.

The padding off both high backs lost its glue and fell off, the gas pedals fell off, the screws were the too long, so the bindings always came loose, but I think he filed them down or something to fix that. The straps started to tear, and he is haveing issues with broken springs in the ratchets. I think he put 50+ days on them this year. I think they were a pretty decent line, I'll ask him when I see him again. I have about 100 days/3 or 4 seasons (I can't remember) on my soloman bindings, and they are just now starting to have the ratchet issue when its REALLY cold out. Otherwise, they are still working fine. They aren't even the top of the line model. Plus they are super comfy with my soloman boots. They together fit SOOOOO nicely.

any feedback on the Burton bindings with the toe cups?

Don't know how they hold up, but everyone I talked to had to say the same thing... as if they were brainwashed.

"They are so great, the response is amazing. Yout think, how much different can it be, but when you ride them its just like wow. You think and it responds."

I myself am not a Burton fan but many people like their bindings a lot this year. The only thing is that I don't know if they fit well with all boots so I would definitley bring your boot with you if plan on purchasing them. I had the Tech9 Baltimore strap on my Ride Bindings which is similar to the Burton design and I did not care for it that much. I didn't like how thay fit and work, I like regular toe straps better. But there are also people that swear by them, so its all personal opinion.

No, you most likely won't have any extra toe drag because they sit mostly on the top of the foot and cupped a little on the front. Toe drag is not a problem with these and I never heard of anyone complaining of it. They might even help reduce it because the strap actually pushes you foot all the way back in the binding.

I haven't heard of any toe drag problems. Usually toe drag happnes on the bottom of the boot, and these are towards the top. Most of the models with them have a decent sized gas pedal anyways so toe drag shouldn't be a huge deal.

Don't know how they hold up, but everyone I talked to had to say the same thing... as if they were brainwashed.

"They are so great, the response is amazing. Yout think, how much different can it be, but when you ride them its just like wow. You think and it responds."

They got caught up in the hype and most likely want to brag about how they've got the "great new toecups." I've got probably about 120 days under some toecups and the only real difference I've noticed is that it takes away the pressure of having a strap directly over your upper-toe. The response is exactly the same as traditional strap bindings.

Thanks for the toe cup info...I have over 250 days on a 5 year old pair of Burton Customs...every part of them has been broken and replaced, usually by the CB repair shop.  It's time for me to stop being a cheap ass and buy a new pair...any recommendations?

Broken and replaced by the CB shop? :confused

Seriously though, if you like Burton stuff and have the cash, then stick with what you know.

Personally I would recommend the Technine Pro-Series or Dominators, I have the "Justin Hebbel" pro/dominator and they have been great this season. Very responsive (due to baseplate, not the funny strap), very comfortable, nothing came loose, nothing broke (lifetime warranty anyway), ratchets always worked well. The only possible drawback is no tool-free lean adjustment, this doesn't really matter to me (had it on my sims, used it once), but some people might think it's important.

Thanks for the toe cup info...I have over 250 days on a 5 year old pair of Burton Customs...every part of them has been broken and replaced, usually by the CB repair shop.  It's time for me to stop being a cheap ass and buy a new pair...any recommendations?

I really dig my solamon bindings. You should at least them out. The coolest thing about the solomans is the toe strap never fully detaches... meaning you don't have to fool around trying to fish it into the buckle everytime you strap in. Not really a huge perfomance thing, but its a really nice convenience. If you have soloman boots also, then the fit is amazing. I guess they go to bizarre lengths to make their boots fit their bindings really well. The guy in the shop put a boot and binding together and never strapped them, and he could turn them upside down and shake and the boot didnt fall out. Anyways, just give them a try.

I love Ride bindings, at least the ones I have( Flight MIGs and Flight Tomcats), so I would recommend them. As for technine, I have not got the chance to ride any but I like the Justin Hebel model the best and have heard nothing but bad things about the MFM models so stay away from them. But they do have a lifetime warranty and their customer service is great so that is a huge plus. Also solamon is another good choice, heard great things about their whole lineup boots, bindings and boards ( I am looking at a prospect now). I also have had Drakes but too many loose screws and had the strap break a couple times but they were alright.

I love Ride bindings, at least the ones I have( Flight MIGs and Flight Tomcats), so I would recommend them.  As for technine, I have not got the chance to ride any but I like the Justin Hebel model the best and have heard nothing but bad things about the MFM models  so stay away from them.  But they do have a lifetime warranty and their customer service is great so that is a huge plus. Also solamon is another good choice, heard great things about their whole lineup boots, bindings and boards ( I am looking at a prospect now).  I also have had Drakes but too many loose screws and had the strap break a couple times but they were alright.

I thought the tomcats were the coolest looking bindings I've seen, but the cost was a little higher than I wanted and no-one I knew or on the board had tried them.

I think MFM sold out and let T9 make the "solo" to cash in on his rep', I dont think it will do either of them any good in the long run.

I have the drake super sports and i love them. They are pretty soft(they're designed as park/pipe bindings), but they still hold up well for freeriding. I've always had "plastic strap-ons"( :confused ). Anyway, they seem pretty good for me. I can't really comment on metal bindings-never used them, but i'd imagine that they're a lot better for freeriding.

Edited by stevo182

I thought the tomcats were the coolest looking bindings I've seen, but the cost was a little higher than I wanted and no-one I knew or on the board had tried them.

I think MFM sold out and let T9 make the "solo" to cash in on his rep', I dont think it will do either of them any good in the long run.

Exactly, that particular bnding has had a lot of problems and I hear the heel cup is really thin so its hard to get a lot of boots in. As for the tomcats they are expensive but I got mine towards the end of this season for 160.00 shipped which isn't bad at all. The MIGS I paid an arm and leg for but I think they are worth it.