Belleayre TR 4/14 & 4/15

AtomicSkier

I left Saturday at 5:45am destined for Belleayre. Before I left I saw there was a forecasted 10"-15" for Highmount, which had me aroused, as well as nervous about the drive home on Sunday. I got to Belleayre from Bethlehem 2 hours and 40 minutes later, booted up, got a breakfast sandwich and hit the Supercheif HSDQ. We met up with Glenn, Lib, and Zaldon after our second run and Doug and I did runs with Zaldon while Lib and Glenn hit up the not-so-progressive terrain park. We skied almost the whole mountain, sampling what New York's Snowpark has to offer. Some really good trails, especially the ASRA race trail, which was awesome. We skied 26 runs for 26,400 vertical on Saturday. Lib, Glenn and Zaldon were heading home, but Doug and I got a room exactly 4 miles from the parking lot. After some heady dank birchbeer, we hit up this mexican place where we split nachos, and we both got quesadillas. Good food, num num num. We went back to the room, watched some TV this both passed out.

Sunday....what a bittersweet way to end the season. We woke up early, watched some TV, then headed to the mountain. We left the motel around 8am, and it was only a 4 minute drive, so nothing to worry about. Roads weren't super great, as it was mixed precipitation at the motel, but we figured it would be all snow at the mountain, which it was. The superchief was closed for Camelback reasons (ice) so we hiked up to chair 7 for our first run, and we didn't get off at the mid station. Doug went to measure the snow depth, but he didn't sink. It had JUST turned over to snow right before we got there, so it was all crusted over. ugh. Our first run down one of the diamonds was an interesting one. Very crusty on top with light stuff underneath. As every run went by, more and more snow accumulated. It was so freaking cold and windy that we only lasted for 9 runs in what turned out to be some pretty sweet conditions. Doug had forgot his jacket, so he was wearing my Atomic spring jacket, and I didn't have my facemask, and Doug left the baklava in the car, so we both weren't dressed ideally for the weather. I ended my season on April 15th in powder that was blowing up over my boots. Not too shabby.

Pics and vid to follow....

I love to spoon during a cold night after a long day of skiing...

Mmmmmm... hot.

Doug is one restless mofo...he's got the jimmy legs.

When I passed out last night at 10, he was pacing back and forth, and at 6:30 this morning he was still pacing back and forth. He kept checking outside every minute to see if another foot had fallen.

Maybe he was wondering when to make his move. Hmmmmm?