The week in College/HS Sports...

Ski

Teahupoo, Tahiti, is the craziest place...they hold a bunch of surf comps there, but it's as dangerous as it gets. They call it the "Heaviest wave on Earth" because it's a sloped closeout---the waves come in hard and then slam down, with no way of getting up and over the shoulder. It happens because the fresh water runoff erroded the reef in just a certain way...so if you're not really careful, you just get slammed onto a sharp reef. Surfing over a coral reef would be like doing rails over top of a bed of nails, with a bunch of poison urchins hanging around...

Yeah...the motor is wicked slow, which is a bitch for plays at second or home in baseball/softball, but I've always taught that even sports photogs rely way too much on their motor drives. The glass is what blows me away: the Canon 70-200 2.8L USM replaced 6 of my fixed focal length lenses and is sharper than any other lens I've owned.

Cool Photos ski.The tennis one and the field hockey ones are the best for the funniest, and personally I think the 2nd golfing one is the best picture wise,it would be a lot cooler is the rake wasn't in the backround but what can you do about that really,nothing.I like the way you got the ball in the shot to.

• 1 month later...
hey ski have you ever shot any lacrosse games in the lehigh valley?

Yeah, sure...what school? Even if I wasn't there for your school, I might have been covering your opponent. We contract with more than 500 colleges and high schools, but I'm usually at one of about 30 regularly. Any PASR member is more than welcome to drop me a PM at the beginning of their sports season and I'll be more than happy to grab a few good shots if I just happen to be at one of their games.