Vermont in Mid-November?

darklordofsys

My wife and I are thinking of running to Vermont in Mid-November (15+). Are some of the slopes open that time of year? We were thinking Southern Vermont.

My wife and I are thinking of running to Vermont in Mid-November (15+). Are some of the slopes open that time of year? We were thinking Southern Vermont.
err...just to be clear. When I say running I mean slipping away for a quick few days without the rugrats. Not actually running.As it turns out, my wife would like to try snowboarding as well. I was able to pick her up an in the box '05 Arbor Stance for $93.00

mid november is tricky nowadays since the winters arent as reliable. if you could, id reccomend going early december, as last season in vermont most resorts only had a few trails open for thanksgiving.

i would recomend either okemo or mount snow. both are located in southern vermont, and offer easier terrain then other vermont resorts. this year mount snow was purchased by the people that own jfbb, and they installed a shitload of new snowguns, which may result in mount snow having the best conditions that early.

okemo is also known for making alot of snow. if top to bottom terrain is open, then you will have longer trails and more vert here then you would at snow.

you might also want to wait a bit and see what killingtons plans are. they are being pretty vague, and the new ownership has stated that early and late season there is no more. (used to be october-june). overall, snow or okemo would be your best bet, but i would try and wait until early december if you could.

As a beginner, there will most likely be nothing open at most of these resorts before thankgiving, especially killington where you can be taking your life in your hands on the first open days with snow guns, "thin cover" (meaning unmarked ditches, pipes etc), and tons of people on a couple of trails.

Best thing wold be to not rely on it and see what the weather brings, then make sure that they are offering "easier" terrain before you head up.

You talked about not wanting to wade through crowded slopes for a season pass, just thought I would give you the heads up that most early season riding is a sea of people. With limited mountains open, and limited trails at any particular mountain, even a modest crowd turns 2 or 3 slopes into a free for all. Everyone is just getting back on the snow, and most of the skiing/riding is pretty sketchy.

I love those first days BUT, for a relative beginner such as yourself and your wife being a first timer, you might think about sitting out the early season VT trips. It would be a real shame to sit out the whole season because you got hurt the first day out, with so-so conditions and maniacs all around.

Also something to consider, most mountains, even if they are open, will not have ski schools open that early, so if you are relying on a refresher lesson for yourself or a first time lesson for you wife, you will be out of luck.

On the other hand, I highly recommend taking a late season trip to the north. After things slow down and close you can catch some turns in VT and NY without too much crowding, great conditions, well practiced skiers/riders and much better coverage than in Nov/Dec.