heres my proposal for a summer activity

bermbuster49

Okay, well if you couldnt tell by my user name, i race dirt bikes. Now last year i remember looking at the webcam when they turned the lights on and i was like wow that would be so sick to have a race there at night. but now that i think about it, it would be sick to have a race there period. now just so you know, this would be a once a year thing, if you go local you could expect 700+ riders, if you go national you could expect a thousand+ or so? and the hotel would be compeletly booked, guarrenteed, plus money from the event coordinators for allowing them to use your land for that day. it draws a huge crowd of spectators, so the resorts food services would be utilized very much. but anyway, the only downfall is that the ground will get torn up where the trail is.

this is just a rough idea to see if anyone thinks it would be possible, however it has been done. i've been to a national at the "wisp" in maryland. the hotel there was packed, and it was an awsome race, the pro's came with thier semi's and we parked our motorhome in the parking lot of the resort instead of a field haha, it was really cool to see though, people were playing paintball there and they even ran the chairlift so spectators could go to the top of the mountain to watch!! just recently the GNCC (grand national cross country) circit added yet another ski resort to its schedule. the race was held at snowshoe ski resort in west virginia. here is a picture just to show a tiny bit of thier layout:

HoopsAtmosphere1.jpg

anyway, it could be a really cool event, that would generate a lot of interest, maybe next year we(bear creek) could look into it.

I'd have to agree that you could defenitely build a sick track at pretty much any ski resort. I dont think that it would be TOO big of a deal if the ground got torn up because they'd have to spend time smoothing out all the features they build anyway. Bear would be a prime spot for this too, they've got such a nice facility with the hotel so close to everything. They would probably make a ton of money during a time of the season when business is slow.

what about a snow race that would be sweet and would probaly bring alot of people to bear because its winter and it doesnt happen alot and even a snow best trick comp like winter x games it would be sweet. :wiggle it would make me happy like this thing.

well i dont think that motocross would be too good for bear creek and im not sure how much money they make off of it. I dont have any ideas besides having longboard races, i longboard myself during the summer and i find it to be almost exactly like snowboarding. im not sure that this is a great idea but i was just putting that out there.

If you're looking for something to match snowboarding in the summer check out www.freebord.com

My brother and I each got one last December and have been slowly becoming more and more obsessed with the sport. Every one of my friends that have tried it or seen it cant believe how well you can simulate the snowboarding sensation on basically any paved hill. Check out some of the videos if you're still not a believer!!

Several years ago we were very interested in putting in a track or hosting several events. We contacted Blackman's Cycle and they wanted to be involved. We went to the township and they informed us that the noise ordinance for our zoning area, Rural Recreation, stipulates that we are not allowed to exceed 90dB at the property lines. Blackman's brought out 4 of their quietest bikes and we were still well over 110dB at our property lines. We spoke with several of the closest neighbors and they all indicated that they would lodge protests at the special exception hearing that would be required to get a zoning variance. At that point, both parties decided to stop persuing the idea.

because his beloved blue has nothing...

They have longer trails but I really feel that they (said trails) get skied off way too quickly. BC seems to have great conditions all day... when they have snow that is. Probably because the trails aren't steep enough to track the snow off of. I'd rather have a moderate trail with great snow than a great trail with awful conditions anyway. That's just my opinion BTW. Hate the crowds though.

you were boycotting them, weren't you...

Bob made like a 10 page thread about how much BC sucks

Yes... officially we are still boycotting but I think Mark and I may have convinced Bob to give BC one more chance. I hope so anyway. I have a bit of a soft spot for BC. It's the 1st place I ever skied.

• 1 month later...

If your into MX, and skiing - You might also be insterested in Downhill mtb. Racers Edge and the former Reading Racing team held the Mid Atlantic Cup series finally race at bear creek last year - around sept-Oct i forget. It wasnt much in terms of "gnar"ness but it was fun none the less to be able to race bike at my "home" skiing mountain (esp cause i won my class haha).

Search Downhill mountain biking, or Freeride/free ride mountain biking on youtube to get your taste buds wet. like i said if u like MX and skiing/boarding, i dont see why you wouldnt like DH haha. the eastcoast "Hub" for DH is definatly Mountain creek tho. Their high speed gondola is hard to beat for maximum amount of runs/day.

Back about 2003 and earlier Spring Mtn had a pretty sweet DH venue going on with races and a whole series. Believe it or not Spring mtn is hella technical on a (downhill) bike - albiet flat in spots, and alot of pedaling for what is called "downhill racing" it was still very very fun, and got me started in racing. Bear creek may have looked into this, they had races a good while ago, before i started racing (pre - 03) but I'm not sure if bear of today is interested in investing in a whole series. Its not that bad if they stick to the NORBA sanctioning rules, they can get cheap(er) insurance through them that way. It only requires one lift to be run. Minimal impact on the skiing areas as most of the courses take place in the woods - any run down a slope just kills grass at worst, not much soil being moved. bears not a huge hill, so runs around 3 minutes may be tough, maybe not, if they use the right side.

Money can be made if its done right - look at mtn creak - Diablo freeride park. Maybe not realing in the do' but they are making money in the off season - and providing enjoyment for bikers from as far as Austrailia and asia/europe (people from 40 countries showed up to this years U.S. Open of mountain biking downhill race).

• 1 month later...

aw, thats too bad but i totally understand. noise is probably the biggest issue when racing around home. most of our races now are pretty far away from towns and everything. I think the only reason we raced at jack frost all those years is because no one really lives around there (it was before the condo's at the top...if they ever went threw with making them, cas they had to knock down the practice mx tracks because of it).

sorry for the old bump! haha just looking at an old thread