How early to head west?

Timeless

Any one have any views on when it's safe to assume decent coverage / conditions in the various areas of the rockies (CO, UT, MT etc) most resorts claim mid november openings but will that be sketchy & crowded?

I have a bunch of airmiles I have to burn before December or I lose them so I'm considering an early season trip somewhere.

Any suggestions

I'd go to one of the weather sites that has weather history and see when each spot gets most of its snow. We get most of ours in December and January historically, but I think Colorado (Vail)gets it later in general.

Edited by sibhusky

Do you have to use the miles before December or before December ends?

There's a day in december, have to check again, but you made me think to check if I just need to book the flight by then, or if the flight has to be by then.

I guess I might be able to drag it into the new year.

in colorado, the resorts right on the divide (Loveland, A-Basin, and Keystone) are most likely your best bet for an early season trip. Of the three, my reccommendation would be loveland from what i saw with respect to early season coverage last year. Problem is, loveland doesent have a town, so the closest you can really stay is in keystone or dillon (~15 mins away)

Do you have to use the miles before December or before December ends?

I have to book the flight before Decmber 15th, can book quite a long way in advance it seems so I'll probably wait till early december, see what the conditions look like and either book something then, or book sometime in Jan/Feb.

I really can't wait for the snow.....

I have to book the flight before Decmber 15th, can book quite a long way in advance it seems so I'll probably wait till early december, see what the conditions look like and either book something then, or book sometime in Jan/Feb.

I really can't wait for the snow.....

... Seems like a no brainer to book for late Jan through anytime mid feb (considering you can). The conditions will be SO much better, and a much better chance of getting dumped on while you are out there.

In late January..there should be plenty of natural snow...December is a crap-shoot at best..it would stink to fly out west to ski icy groomers..you could just drive to VT or NY for that early season..plus the later in the season you head out west..the better form you'll be in..

I'll be out there in March anyway, just saw this as another opportunity to get away and maybe try somewhere new.